There is a range of benefits from having a blog for your company. If it is produced correctly and has regular and on trend blog posts, it will create more awareness of your business and attract customers/users .
Things to keep in mind when setting up a Blog Page:
1) The Blog’s Domain – this needs to be under the same domain as your company and not linked to external sites different to your own such as Blogspot. Use a simple domain name for your blog which is relevant to your site.
2) The design and the overall feel of the blog needs to be on par with your website, keeping it consistent and easily recognisable. The user needs to understand that they are still on the same company website and have not been redirected somewhere completely new.
3) Keep it Simple – try to avoid using any widgets or distractions, a blog is to be useful and easy to use. Keep the tone of your blog friendly but on brand, inform users of relevant subjects that have been of interest to your company, therefore of interest to the user. Feel free to use images in your blog, remember to add an Alt Tag option to your image.
4) Expand – Offer additional services such as an email sign up and links to your companies social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook, offering more ways to keep up to date with your business.
5) PROMOTE – Remember to promote your blog. Link your blog page to different areas of your website especially the home page.
Posting on various sites can be a little time consuming but it doesn’t have to be. You can download widgets to link all your social sites together so posting on your blog can automatically feed through to Twitter and Facebook.
So, What do you write about?
The written content on your blog is crucial to your sites SEO and to engaging the user. Having a number of different admins to post on your blog keeps the feel of the content fresh and more personal. Within a company it is a good idea to have members of staff across different departments to write posts, this also helps to reduce the work load.
A blog should have a friendly approach whilst still providing relevant and up to date information for users to relate to. The best blogs will have a mix of types of content; these can be broken down into 3 types:
1) Valuable Company Content – company ideas, case studies, staff updates, what you have been researching or working on that week etc.
2) Relevant News – any related articles that have been in the news can be summarized into a blog for your page, driving traffic to your site. You can then link this information back to your site in an anchor text format.
3) Company News – Keep users interested by posting news about your own company, what is currently going on within the company and what can they expect in the near and distant future.